Introduction to the Project Management Office Overview
This one day, practical course is designed to guide organizations who are thinking of establishing a PMO to an office that is tailored to meet the project management needs of your particular circumstances.
Students of the course will be invited to assess their organizations’ current project management maturity and determine what benefits they need to deliver for the PMO to be deemed a success.
Once the goals of the PMO have been established, you will be guided through the steps needed to establish a business case for the PMO and ultimately, to create a PMO Charter.
Next Available DateTo be confirmed
- 1 Day
- Tutor on call
- Exam simulator
- Define the basic concepts – projects and project management
- Determine the organization-level concerns related to project management
- Appreciate the lack of consensus over PMO definition
- Identify the areas where a PMO can provide support
- Decide if a PMO is needed and if you are in a position to set one up
- Use a seven-stage model to create your PMO
- Recognize the skills needed to staff a PMO
- Determine what factors to include in your initial PMO budget
- Measure progress suing appropriate metrics
- Identify five main causes of PMO failures and realize that failure rates are high
This course is aimed at executives and potential PMO Managers who are considering the establishment of a PMO in their organization.
A good, general appreciation of project management principles would be an advantage, but not essential.
- The gap between front-line project management and executive-level concerns
- The problems relating to projects and resources that need addressing
- How work is organized
- Functions a PMO can provide:
- Project management training
- Templates and standards
- Project management department
- Resource management
- Strategy alignment
- Selecting projects
- A maturity model view of the PMO
- Are you ready for a PMO?
- PMO critical success factors
- Seven step implementation model
- SWOT analysis exercise
- Vision, mission and goals exercise
- Road map exercise
- Skills requirements
- Organisation chart exercise
- RACI chart exercise
- Career development paths
- PMO training requirements
- PMO costs
- PMO metrics
- PMO maturity assessments
- Why PMO's fail
Make an enquiry
Keep up to Date & Certified (PDUs)
Your career is a journey, and you’ll need to stay relevant as the profession evolves and as the needs of employers grow and change. Maintaining your PMI® certification is a significant competitive advantage. It keeps you relevant and helps you better position yourself as the answer to a company's demand.
To keep your certification and keep you relevant and competitive for employer demanded skills, you’ll need to participate in professional development activities, and earn and report professional development units (PDUs.) The goal is to ensure that your certified competencies stay relevant and up to date.
There are tons of opportunities to earn PDUs. PMP® credential holders love Velopi's PDU Centre because it's the easiest way to earn and document the 60 hours of professional development units (PDUs) that are required over a 3 year period.
As a learner with us, Velopi's PDU Centre helps you earn and report your Education PDUs to keep up to date and maintain your certification through our classes, seminars and webinars as well as self directed learning. Visit the Velopi PDU Centre to see our upcoming classes and webinars and Discover ways to earn PDUs or report earned PDUs with our Velopi PDU Centre.
Hear what our students say...
As a small and rapidly growing company, the Velopi team helped our Senior Management team introduce a common terminology, develop the company’s project management model and processes and apply it to our resource management and planning of Client projects every day so that, as a Company, we succeed in delivering quality projects, on time and on budget to our Clients.”
Scientific Officer, Atlantia
Industry Experts that help you SucceedMeet the Team
Managing Director & Founder | Velopi
Seamus Collins has led Velopi since he founded the company in 2007. He has developed Velopi into the internationally recognised specialist in Project Management that’s helped hundreds of companies accelerate their growth.
Senior Training Consultant | Velopi
An excellent communicator, John has a proven track record of delivering training and analysing training needs of project management training and consultancy to a range of companies across the IT, Telecommunications, Finance and Life Science sectors.
Training Consultant | Velopi
A learning and development professional for the past 10 years, consulting with a variety of well-known and successful organisations, Michael holds two Masters degrees, MA Learning & Development and MSc Project Management.