Introduction to Project Management Overview
Become familiar with project management concepts and terminology and equip yourself with the tools to plan the scope and schedule for a project. Assuming no prior knowledge of project management, this course is ideal for the newcomer to the area. You will be provided with an overview of the project lifecycle. You will become familiar with the terminology needed to understand project managers and stakeholders. It will equip you with the tools to start Project Managing small projects. Using a case study, you will identify project stakeholders, develop a project Scope Statement and Work Breakdown Structure. Then, using estimation and scheduling best practices, you will develop a timeline for your project.
Next Available DateTo be confirmed
Skill LevelBasic Concepts of Project Management
- 1 Day
- Tutor on call
- Exam simulator
Upon completion of this course, you will:
- Master fundamental project management skills, concepts, tools and techniques
- Identify project stakeholders and map project deliverables to their needs
- Define and develop the project scope statement and Work Breakdown Structure
- Estimate project resources and durations
- Recognize when to use different estimation techniques and how to leverage existing data
- Be able to schedule project tasks and develop a project schedule
- Compress the schedule to meet stakeholders needs
This is very much an introductory course and, as such, is ideal for someone who is new to project management. Typically attendees will have experience working in projects, but are only now at the stage of their careers where they need to manage and control them. It is also very suitable for project team members.
- What are "projects"? “Projects versus Operations”
- The need for project management?
- The project life cycle
- Key stakeholders
- Exercise: Review of well known project failures
- Project management process groups
- Project manager responsibilities
- Exercise: Stakeholders
- Scope planning & definition
- Work breakdown structure – WBS
- Exercise: Create a WBS
- Exercise: Estimation
- Schedules Planning
- Network Diagrams – Critical Path Method
- Exercise: Critical Path
- Fast Tracking
- Risk Planning & Identification
- Procurement Planning
- Exercise: Risk Identification
- Qualitative Risk Analysis
- Exercise: Qualitative Risk Analysis
- Quantitative Risk Analysis
- Risk Response Planning
- Mitigation, Contingency
- Exercise: Risk Response Planning
- Risk Monitor & Control
Make an enquiry
- Blended learning delivery model (self-paced e-learning and/or instructor-led options)
- Flexible pricing options
- Enterprise grade Learning Management System (LMS)
- Enterprise dashboards for individuals and teams
- 24/7 Learner assistance and support
Keep up to Date & Certified (PDUs)
Your career is a journey, and you’ll need to stay relevant as the profession evolves and as the needs of employers grow and change. Maintaining your PMI® certification is a significant competitive advantage. It keeps you relevant and helps you better position yourself as the answer to a company's demand.
To keep your certification and keep you relevant and competitive for employer demanded skills, you’ll need to participate in professional development activities, and earn and report professional development units (PDUs.) The goal is to ensure that your certified competencies stay relevant and up to date.
There are tons of opportunities to earn PDUs. PMP® credential holders love Velopi's PDU Centre because it's the easiest way to earn and document the 60 hours of professional development units (PDUs) that are required over a 3 year period.
As a learner with us, Velopi's PDU Centre helps you earn and report your Education PDUs to keep up to date and maintain your certification through our classes, seminars and webinars as well as self directed learning. Visit the Velopi PDU Centre to see our upcoming classes and webinars and Discover ways to earn PDUs or report earned PDUs with our Velopi PDU Centre.
Hear what our students say...
The big benefit for us is bringing unity, structure and consistency in how we work and communicate as a Team. When we present and report to our internal and external stakeholders, we can now give a clear simple picture of how we are executing against our baseline.”
Senior Project Manager, Boston Scientific
Industry Experts that help you SucceedMeet the Team
Managing Director & Founder | Velopi
Seamus Collins has led Velopi since he founded the company in 2007. He has developed Velopi into the internationally recognised specialist in Project Management that’s helped hundreds of companies accelerate their growth.
Senior Training Consultant | Velopi
An excellent communicator, John has a proven track record of delivering training and analysing training needs of project management training and consultancy to a range of companies across the IT, Telecommunications, Finance and Life Science sectors.
Training Consultant | Velopi
A learning and development professional for the past 10 years, consulting with a variety of well-known and successful organisations, Michael holds two Masters degrees, MA Learning & Development and MSc Project Management.